Monday, July 16, 2012

First Drawing for a Brothers Grimm Story


 First almost complete drawing for a not well known brothers Grimm story that I am going to illustrate called, "The Boy That Learned How Tow Shudder". I wonder how many other people how heard this story before? if you have please leave a comment. I found the story when I was looking up fairytales for an assignment I had in a literature class in college.

 Ever since then I have wanted to illustrate it, whenever I read this story as well as most of the stories I read I see it as animated images. This has make me realize how much watch all the animated movies as a child has influenced my work. I watch disney's Robin Hood again the other while I was working on the drawing, for me it was great inspiration. It is one of my favorite movies from my childhood.

My Five Top Favorite Movies
That Inspire Me to Draw:
1. Robin Hood
2. Spirited Away
3. The Littles (The asian version that just come out this year,
with amazing details in the drawings as well as in the story.)
4. Kiki delivery service, and Howls Moving Castle
5. Up

I draw all the images I need for the story first in mechanical pencil, I wait to color all the drawings in at the sometime because I worry that while I am finishing all the other drawings for that story that I will run out of the colors I am using or that I will no longer remember the color I was using when I first started. But I seem to be most inspirited of what colors everything should be in the image while I am actually drawing the image. I mostly use colored pencils for my coloring, sometimes I use watercolors or acrylic paints.

I think I am going to have to try it out both ways to see which one I would rather do...

1 comment:

  1. I'm always delighted with your art. I love the strong, warm colors and the barely-controlled freehand way you draw....it's like you're 'daring' society to make you 'stay in the lines'. Wonderful work! (Oh, and It's Brothers Grimm....you keep putting it as 'Bothers'(leaving out the "R"). I know you will persevere and succeed. Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete